Monday, March 7, 2011

7 on the 7th: Meals I make

So a couple weeks ago my friend Amanda ( i cant figure out how to put the link in here) started the 7 on the 7th and I decided to jump on board with her great idea. This weeks is the top 7 go to meals we make often. So here goes...in no particular order...

1.) Chicken, Corn, Black Bean Quesadillas. So easy and soo yummy. Dice chicken and cook with a little seasoning of choice. I use Adobo seasoning. In a bowl mix 1 can corn, 1 can black beans (or cooked dried beans I sometimes make), chicken pieces and some more seasoning along with a little onion powder and garlic salt. I cook them on the stove top place a little butter on one side of a whole wheat tortilla place buttered side on pan, sprinkle some cheese...chicken mixture, more cheese and another buttered on one side tortilla (butter side out). Cook to light brown and then flip over (a plate makes it easy to flip it just turn it over on the plate and slide it off. SO YUMMY and you can always separate the ingredients for picky kids.

2) Arroz Con Pollo- Chicken and Rice. Take drumsticks cook them in some oil in a pot take them out and add rice, sofrito, seasoning etc. then add chicken back in. Sometimes I add pigeon peas. Its easy and everyone loves it. Especially Widmar.

3.) Spaghetti- I usually try to make my own, but sometimes i am in a hurry and use the jar kind of sauce. You can do so much with spaghetti, add turkey sausage, ground turkey some veggies, etc. (or other meat if you like) You can do chicken parmesean. Its an easy go to meal that never fails. I like penne plus pasta so that is usually what we use instead of spaghetti noodles.

4.) BBQ chicken sandwiches: Place chicken and BBQ sauce in crockpot and let it cook on low all day. Makes great pulled chicken. Not much work. :)

5.) Homemade Chicken nuggets and potato wedges: I try to dip them in some kind of veggie first like sweet potatos it helps add some more veggies to the meal. Then dip them in bread crumbs and bake. Just cut up the potatos spray a little olve oil on it and sprinkle with parmesean.

6.) Turkey Burgers: ground turkey breast, french fried onions, some cheese, pepper, salt, worcestire sauce all mixed together. A definite fave!

7.) Salad: we are always having salad. Once a week its our main meal with some grilled chicken. I cut up all my own veggies no bagged stuff. It's yummy healthy and a light break from the week. Widmar likes to eat salad too so it makes it easier. I could eat salad every night of the week if i had the choice.

Anything I can do in the crockpot always works too. I love having my meal done early to have the afternoon to play outside without the stress of making dinner.

4 comments:

  1. It's been a while since we have had quesadillas, they are so tasty and fast. I think we are going to make those this week! And I would love to make spaghetti at least every other week, but STeve just doesn't like it to much (he said he ate it to much as a kid). My favorite way to make it is with sauted zucchini, squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery, garlic, and onions. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those case of dillas are so frickin YUMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of yummy dinners in here! My crockpot is currently in a POD in Hawaii, but when I get it back I want to give your BBQ chicken a try. What cut of chicken do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jana!

    I'll start stalking you too, just to be fair ;)

    I am going to try those quesadillas for sure. Yum!

    ReplyDelete