Monday, November 15, 2010

Soldier Marathon









This weekend the boys and I had the pleasure of cheering on Widmar and some of my great friends at the Soldier Marathon and half marathon. We were joined by our dear friends Tara & Jon Jon. I am not going to lie I was grumpy when the morning started. We were watching a friend of ours daughter (which was not the problem she was GREAT) HOWEVER Joshua was being mean and grabbing her shoes off and then we got outside where it was much colder than we are used to. It really wasn't THAT cold, but colder than the typical temperatures lately. It caused for two very unhappy Roman boys. One of which cried for a good hour until we made it to the finish line to greet our friends and a couple hours later our daddy. :) And then we get to the finish line and there are soldiers lined for the finishers and we stood there cheering as the 1st runner came FLYING across. He was fast! We cheered on all of our friends as they crossed and then waited a little while longer for Widmar. The boys were playing having a great time which eased some of my frustration and caused me to think about just how greatful I am to be a part of such a wonderful community here at Fort Benning and in the Army Family in general. We knew A LOT of people running and there were hugs shared with all. I patiently waited for my #1 stud to cross the finish line, he did the full marathon. He finished in 3hr 50min!!! Thank you Dion & Matt and family and Robin & Joe & Addison for waiting for him to cross the finish line. I know it meant a lot to him and it meant a lot to me that he had all the support waiting for him. You could have easily left to shower and spend time with your families. Thank you thank you!!!

I must brag on him for just a minute.... He truly is amazing (at least to me anyway). He is currently training for a 40mile race that takes place the first weekend in December. I used to gripe at his 3hour long runs every saturday and sunday, but I've learned that is the man he is. He's a runner, a competitor and it truly makes him happy to accomplish these things. I am proud of him in everything he does including the races. He not only ran the marathon on Saturday, but turned around and did a 2 1/2 hour trail run on sunday after church. (Yes he is crazy) He is actually pretty amazing if you ask me!!!

Part of me wishes I had run or at least run walked this race, but as I got to thinking I am happy I didn't. A few people said how great it was and how motivating it was to see us along the route cheering them on. I was where God wanted me.

Back to how proud I am to be apart of such an awesome army family. The video posted above is from the race. All of the other runners had finished, the tents were packed up, most of the volunteers had gone home. But as this young lady finished her first marathon on the 10 year anniversary of being cancer-free, the soldiers from Ft. Benning, GA fullfilled their motto of "no man left behind". This is the community that I am so blessed to live among and serve beside. I am truly blessed!




1 comment:

  1. You summed it up perfectly! And you are right, I so appreciated seeing you at each point along the course. Thank you, thank you, thank you for spectating me!!!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete